Tuesday 19 June 2012

Torchlight 1: Destroyer Tips

Well I just ‘beat’ torchlight and I’d figure that I’d post some tips for the destroyer class. I played the game on hard and my strats seemed to work on that difficulty, I can’t speak for very hard but anything below should do it. Lets see where to start.

Skills
There are a lot of ways to build classes but I’ll discuss what worked for me.

Slash Attack- This is your starting skill, and it is your bread and butter for a long time, until level 25 for me, luckily I didn’t find the game difficult enough to spend not a single more point on this skill and I would recommend doing the same as this skill becomes useless once a berserker acquires devastate.

Dual Wield- This gives a larger damage bonus than martial weapons, unless you plan on not dual wielding (not recommended) get this skill, although I would still recommend saving your points for better passive skills that are available at level 20.

Adventurer – this skill is quite useful but I found myself putting few points into it, its good to get exp, and the potion bonus is really nice but I’d rather save it for later and make my character stronger with more potent skills, potions are usually strong enough to beat the game, though if you play further you may wanna pick this up

Crit Strike- This skill owns, and the sad part is we gotta wake to level 20 to get it, hopefully you saved points and can get this maxed asap, like at level 30.

Devastate – This skill plain owns, I used it exclusively as soon as I got it, you attack much faster than slow slash attack and hop around obliterating enemies, you don’t even need to invest points in it to be good, one would suffice to beat the game, which is also somewhat recommended as the bonuses aren’t terrific and it will burn mana quicker the more points you put into it.

Soul Rend- I myself prefer slash attack, it’s a shorter animation and has a bigger area of effect, though be youself, you can use this til 25 if you want.

Martial Weapon Expertise – adds only 4% dmg per lvl, less than dual wield but does help you equip better weapons earlier which is useful since you can often find some higher up weaps from the merchant, overall not that powerful I didn’t invest many points in it.

Titan stomp- one point in this gets you some breathing space if you get surrounded, I was never smart enough to cast it when surrounded but if you are a quick thinker might as well grab it.

Frost shield – a really good skill with a really bad duration, lasts a meager 20 seconds, powerful but I prefer Shadow Armor thank you very much.

Block and Parry – see Critical Strike

Shadow Armor – A lot of stuff is trying to kill you in this game and we have to face it at point blank range, you will want to max this skill early, and with block and parry aim to reach the max block rate of 50% which is easily done by maxing both skills or coming close. Beware though there was a bug where if you recasted the armor before it ended you would get the graphic but not the extra block rate. Btw blocking owns it negates the damage of an attack completely.

Entropic aura- this skill seems good but I was sick enough having to recast shadow armor all the time to have another skill to cast.

Armor expertise – this skill is somewhat useful but I favor other stronger passive skills. Save your points for block and parry

I didn’t cover all the skills cuz I’m lazy and a lot of them I didn’t get, I got what I needed for my build which focuses on getting my block rate to 50% so they miss a lot and rampaging around with devastate critical hitting quite often (35% with gear).
Stats

With stats I would recommend putting points into strength and defense, though I found a lot of good gear that required magic so I found myself spending points in it to get those high +critical strike stats which usually always require magic from my experience.

Sword/Shield or Dual Wielding or 2hand

I got my block maxed(with shadow armor cast) without a shield, and you really need damage in this game so I don’t see needing a shield in this game, especially since they are somewhat rare and kinda weak. Two handers have less space for stats since its only one item in your hand and they are also more rare than one handers, if you really want go 2hand but I gotta say Dual Wielding is the best for a Berserker build.

Armor

Uh get gear with +critical strike its prob best stat, defense is always good, hp is alright, use your judgement

General Tips

Use a town portal scroll when you enter a new level incase you die, it saves a lot of time, I’ve even had levels respawn on me when I forgot to leave a portal up.

Go ahead a put spells on your pet, they can be an added bonus but overall I didn’t find any spells overly helpful.

Uhhh what else… bring a lot of potions to the last boss
Happy hunting everybody blah blah blah




Alright, you've got some pretty bad advice here. I'll try and fix it:

Slash Attack to 3 to get 100% weapon DPS, I don't like leaving this at 1. This combines your Dual Wielding weapon's DPS, meaning spamming this over auto attack = double your DPS. Basically, the only attack you'll need.

Dual Wield is overshadowed easily by Martial Weapon Expertise. It loses 2% damage bonus each level, but each point lets you equip a weapon one level earlier (as well as reducing the stat requirements). That destroys the 2% you're missing out on from Dual Wield because higher level weapons = more damage (more than 2% per level at least). I have points in Dual Wield after Expertise is maxed.

Adventurer is pointless. Kill things faster = more experience, so save your points for your damaging skills. Also, potions are rarely needed when you get the below skills.

Titan Stomp was meh. Low damage knockback with stun wasn't useful in many situations. Maybe one point for utility.

Frost Shield is the best thing to happen to the Destroyer ever. 5 points here = 40% of all damage reduced. Once it's 20 seconds is done, put it back up. And you're putting points into block and parry? Max this.

Shadow Armor gets the same kind of love as Frost Shield. 

Entropic Aura is a one point wonder. Makes you're Destroyer an even better tank, not that you need it.

Armor Expertise is marginally useful for -requirements, but Frost Shield and Shadow Armor better have lots of points before this gets some. Even then, your offense is priority since your defense is pretty beastly with those two as is. 

No points in Block and Parry. Such terrible returns on your investment.

Crit Strike is whatever you can afford after everything else is decent as you will Crit noticeably more, but not enough. Or you might have taken a liking to some other abilities, go for those first if that's your fancy.

Also throwing in + Defensive Skills solely for Heal/Drain Touch if you don't wish to use any potions. Not the best return, but enough to warrant some points.

To play the Destroyer is easy:

Get yourself some nice leech on a weapon (Enchants and Skulls do this real well), and Drain Touch if you can't get enough. Pop Frost Shield + Shadow Armor. Run into a whole truckload of enemies and Slash Attack anything that gets near you. Standard attack for health leech as necessary or Heal if that's your thing (...or both). Bosses become a joke as you can leech more than they'll ever hit you with considering you're taking 0 damage from almost a third of their attacks and over 50% reduced damage for the ones that do connect.

Now, go play VH.


Forgot to say Doomquake should get 1 for utility. It's a spammable ranged AoE, good for thinning the truckloads before you go rushing into the truckloads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment